Pasifika Women’s Diabetes Wellness Program
The program was developed with Māori and Pasifika women with type 2 diabetes living in Queensland. It is based on the Pacific Health models created by and available to Pacific communities’ and where Pasifika cultural contexts are embedded. The Pasifika Women’s Diabetes Wellness Program focuses on “Wellness”. Family and culture are the core of “wellness” and from which health is built. It includes physical, mental, spiritual and social wellbeing.
About the program
Our aim is to help you understand, start to learn about diabetes and how to maintain a healthy positive life. The Pasifika Diabetes Wellness Program provides 12-week step-by step professional support for you and your family. It covers prevention as well as management of type 2 diabetes and other chronic conditions.
We will journey with you throughout the next 12 weeks to support you in developing knowledge and practical skills in preventing and managing type 2 diabetes as well as to overcoming challenges that your family may face in living a healthy life.
You will learn about:
- ‘diabetes’ and why it’s important to look after yourself;
- how you feel and think about being healthy;
- making healthy lifestyle choices;
- eating the right foods at the right time;
- ways to stay active;
- keeping a record of your blood sugar numbers and what to do if it’s too high; taking your medications and/or insulin and why it’s important
- checking your blood sugar levels;
- ways to reduce problems or complications with diabetes;
- ways to cope with diabetes and deal with stress;
- what care and support you need.
At the end of the 12-week program, we will go through your progress (review) to see any positive lifestyle changes you have made.
If you are interested in learning more about the Pasifika Women’s Diabetes Wellness Program or to register your interest, contact us at email@example.com