Everyone knows we can survive longer without food, but water is life’s most essential nutrient. The recommended eight glasses a day seems a hard task when we all live busy lives filled with work, family, and everything else that has to get done in between. Here are some simple tips to make sure you get those eight glasses in.
- Wake up and have a drink of water to start the day and if you can to end the day.
- Have a glass of water with breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- If you don’t like water try and mix it up a bit and add in a glass of sparkling water with a dash of lemon or other natural flavours, or try a herbal tea (hot or cold).
- Drink at least a glass between lunch and dinner (more if you have worked out).
- Have a drink of water after you use the bathroom.
- Set a phone reminder or use an app to keep you on track.
- Sip water throughout the day (keeping a re-usable water bottle handy gets you in a good habit of reaching for your water).
- If ordering food at a restaurant try to have that glass of water with your meal.
Doing this can help form the habit of reaching that eight glasses of water plus more. Drinking plenty of water is also helping to keep your energy at a higher level and your body receiving the nutrients it requires to keep your skin and body hydrated while reducing overeating. Drinking more water also is shown to improve memory and mood to flush out bad toxins and boost brain function. Keeping in these eight simple habits is the first steps in keeping your body healthy and increasing overall wellness.